Suggestion

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Hi, thank for this library, I have used a number of command line libraries but this is one of my favorites because it's lightweight, well-documented and has almost all the useful features expected from such a tool.
Just a suggestion: it would be great to add some logic to the library so that some of the arguments are conditionally evaluated against others. For instance, say I have a tool where a parameter Action defines the action I want to perform. Let's say we have an action "convert" which takes an Input file and outputs it into an Output file: thus 2 arguments Input AND Output are both required.
Now, let's say there is another action, which just takes the Input and dumps it to the console. In this case only Input would be required. Thus, the Output argument validation depends on the Action argument value. This situation often happens at least when developing console-based tools, yet it seems no library takes it into account. If we look at command line tools like WinZip, it is easy to see that most of the options make sense only in conjuction with some specific argument: thus, rather than a "flat" arguments model, some hierarchy for dependencies would be great. Just a thought anyway... Thanks again.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Hi Mathetes,

Thanks for using Ookii.CommandLine. The functionality you describe is provided by shell commands, albeit in a slightly different form. Instead of having an action parameter, the action would be specified by the command name. Shell commands can inherit from each other if they have arguments in common.

Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to make the change you suggest, so I hope that shell commands can fill your requirements.

Thanks,
Sven
Jul 20, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Hi Sven, thank you very much, it’s a good suggestion. And thanks for your library!

Daniele Fusi